I finally caved in and decided to go for it. I not only made them correctly, but have made them several times since. Husband and Teenager approved! These are great to cook ahead and freeze to take to work for lunch or for a quick dinner. For a little extra flavor I added in some Crushed Red Pepper
- 6 green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 3/4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crushed Red Pepper (Optional) (To Taste)
1. Cut tops off of each pepper and put aside for later. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse in cold water. Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain and set aside
2. Remove and discard the stem of the tops of the peppers that was set aside and chop the rest.
3. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté chopped green pepper, onion, for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and crushed red pepper (optional). Simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Gently stir to blend; add the ground beef, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes. Top stuffed peppers with shredded Cheddar cheese just before peppers are done; bake until cheese is melted.